Cauliflower Tortitas in Tomato Sauce
Want to revamp Taco Tuesday? We bring you… Tortitas Tuesday! These little cauliflower patties are crispy on the outside and soft in the inside, and are served in a savory tomato sauce that is bursting with flavor. They’re the perfect way to level-up your family dinner.
INGREDIENTS – For the Tortitas:
1 head cauliflower, chopped in florets
2/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. vegetable bouillon or salt
5 EGGS, divided
1 cup + 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
10 oz. Monterey jack cheese, cubed
2 cups vegetable oil
DIRECTIONS – For the Tortitas:
- Place 6 cups water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and add florets. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Transfer to a large bowl and break florets down to smaller pieces with a fork. Add breadcrumbs, onion, bouillon. Beat 2 eggs and add to the mixture. Fold together ingredients until mixed well.
- Place 1 cup flour in a shallow bowl. Take ¼ cup of cauliflower mixture into hands, add a cheese cube and press into a tight ball. Transfer to bowl with flour and dredge, covering evenly on all sides. Set aside. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Place whites of remaining eggs in a large bowl. Mix with electric mixer until hard peaks form. Fold in yolks then 1 tablespoon flour.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Cover cauliflower balls in egg mixture and add to hot oil. Repeat, frying in batches, until golden; about 1 minute on each side.
INGREDIENTS – For the Tomato Sauce:
5 Roma tomatoes
1/4 white onion
2 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. vegetable bouillon or salt
Chopped cilantro for servicing
DIRECTIONS – For the Tomato Sauce:
- Cut out stem scar from tomatoes. Boil tomatoes in a large saucepan over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from water let cool. Do not discard water. Peel off skins. Transfer peeled tomatoes to a blender.
- Add onion, garlic, and 1 ¼ cup water the tomatoes boiled in into blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add sauce, bouillon and jalapeño. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add cauliflower tortitas to sauce, spooning sauce over to cover. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.