Cheesy Kale and Apple Sausage Strata
Introducing a Mouthwatering Recipe: Cheesy Kale and Apple Sausage Strata
Why not give the Cheesy Kale and Apple Sausage Strata recipe a try? This delicious dish is sure to leave your taste buds craving more.
- 6 cups day old country style or sourdough bread, sliced into 1” cubes
- 4 links chicken apple sausage - chopped into 1/2" thick slices
- 1 med onion - thinly sliced
- 5 cups kale - roughly chopped or torn
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 large Dakota Layers eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese - grated
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp butter - softened
- 2 tbsp green onions - chopped
- Warm the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the sliced onions and sliced sausages and cook for about 5 minutes until the sausages are lightly browned on one side. Flip the sausages and cook until both sides are lightly browned and the onions have started to brown and caramelize. Add the kale and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a heat proof dish to cool.
- Grease a 12” oven safe skillet or a 13” x 9″ baking dish with butter.
- Whisk eggs, mustard, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl until blended, then whisk in milk.
- Arrange half of the bread cubes in the prepared skillet. Cover with half of sausage, kale and onion mixture, then top with ⅓ of the grated cheddar, top with ⅓ of the green onions. Repeat the process with the remaining half of the bread and sausage mixture, followed by another ⅓ of cheese and green onions. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Use a spatula to press the ingredients down and encourage the bread to soak up the moisture from the egg mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Allow to sit on the counter at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate for an hour, up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake until the strata is golden brown, the cheese on top is browning and bubbly and no liquid seeps out when a knife is inserted into the center, about 35–40 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Top with remaining green onions just before serving.
- Feel free to swap out ingredients in this recipe. Try crumbled spicy Italian sausage and spinach. Switch up the cheese for mozzarella or gouda or use another type of leftover bread, like challah or pretzel buns. Mix in other herbs or spice to your liking, the possibilities are endless!
- Stratas can be served warm or at room temperature. Store wrapped in foil in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This strata reheats beautifully. To reheat, transfer to a lined baking sheet, tent with foil and bake at 400°F for about 10 minutes until warm.
Check Out Our Blog
Not every blog is all it's cracked up to be, but ours is.