Dessert - Holiday
Easy Lemon Baked Donuts
Lemon Baked Donuts, with a yummy lemon curd filling.
Yields 12 Servings
Prep + Chill Time 40mins Cook Time 1hr Total Time 1hr 40mins
For an easy, delicious recipe you'll love a hole lot, check out these lemon-baked donuts with a yummy lemon curd filling.
- 2 ½ tsp. active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup milk, warmed to 110˚ F
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large Dakota Layers eggs
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp salt, divided
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided and softened
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon zest (about 2 large lemons)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add yeast, milk and 2 teaspoons sugar. Let stand 5-8 minutes, until foamy. Whisk in 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sugar and 3 eggs. Add about half of the flour and 1 teaspoon salt to the bowl. Use a dough hook attachment to mix mixture until dough comes together.
- Add the remaining flour and mix into the dough. Slowly add ½ cup butter and beat on medium speed, until a smooth dough forms, about 4 minutes.
- Prepare a bowl with nonstick cooking spray, then place dough in the center of the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the lemon curd, place 3 eggs, ¾ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon salt, lemon juice and lemon zest in a saucepan. Whisk until combined, then place over low heat. Stir constantly, until mixture thickens, about 4-6 minutes. On very low heat, add ¼ cup butter and stir until smooth. Strain lemon curd into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to cool about 10 minutes, then refrigerate overnight.
- Flour a flat surface and roll dough about ½” thick. Use a 1½” round cutter to cut out donuts. Place on parchment lined baking sheets, about 1” apart. Roll remaining dough together and repeat process to create a total of 32-36 donuts. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest about 30 minutes, until puffy.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake donuts 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter, then brush onto donuts. Coat with sugar, then poke a hole in the side of each donut.
- Fill a pastry bag, fitted with a small piping tip, with lemon curd. Pipe about 1 teaspoon of curd into each donut.
- Serve and store leftovers up to 3 days.
Check Out Our Blog
Not every blog is all it's cracked up to be, but ours is.