Noodle Zoodle Egg Bowl
A quick and easy-breezy recipe that’s sure to leave you and your family dancing on air.
- Use a spiralizer or spiral vegetable slicer on a setting such as curl to create a shape that resembles long and thin noodles. Blot zucchini noodles with a paper towel if moist and watery before proceeding with recipe.
- Cooking eggs to a soft poach allows the yolk to remain runny, which creates a creamy sauce when cut into over the zucchini noodles.
- Always use very fresh eggs for poaching. They hold their shape better and form fewer wispy threads or “angel wings” in the water.
Standing tall and proud atop a bed of scrumptious, spiralized zucchini noodles and whole wheat pasta is a delicious poached egg, as well as a fanned out pinch of basil for garnish.
- 4 large Dakota Layers eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 4 medium zucchinis, spiralized into noodles
- 1/4 tsp each salt & pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Bring large pot of water to boil, add spaghetti and cook per package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add garlic and chili flakes and cook for 1 minute, stirring continually. Add zucchini noodles, salt and pepper and cook, tossing gently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until zucchini has softened. Stir tomatoes, spinach, lemon zest and juice gently into zucchini mixture until well combined. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and tomatoes are warmed through.
- When pasta is done, drain and add to skillet mixture. Remove from heat.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of water in a large saucepan to boiling. Adjust heat to keep liquid simmering gently.
- Break eggs, 1 at a time, into a cup. Holding dish close to surface, slip egg into water.
- Cook eggs until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not stir. Lift eggs from water with slotted spoon. Drain in spoon or on paper towels. Trim any rough edges if desired.
- Divide zucchini and pasta mixture among four dinner plates or bowls, top each with 1 poached egg and garnish with basil. Serve immediately.
Check Out Our Blog
Not every blog is all it's cracked up to be, but ours is.