Simple Breakfast Strata
This easy and yummy make-ahead egg dish is perfect for family get-togethers over brunch or dinner.
As with French toast and bread pudding, the strata is a good use for bread that has become a bit dry.
Substitute: 6 strips turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled (can be substituted for the Canadian-style bacon.)
This recipe originally appeared on the Incredible Egg website.
Like its cousins the quiche and bread pudding, the strata has endless variations. It can be made with almost any firm bread, enhanced with vegetables, meat and cheese, and flavored any way you like.
- 4 slices dense white or whole grain bread
- 4 Dakota Layers eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or oregano leaves
- 6 slices Canadian-style bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
- Place bread in single layer in greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Beat eggs, milk and thyme in medium bowl until blended; pour over bread. Sprinkle with bacon. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Remove strata from refrigerator; uncover and let stand while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, in center of 350°F oven 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and strata is puffed, golden and firm in center, about 5 minutes longer.
Check Out Our Blog
Not every blog is all it's cracked up to be, but ours is.